Pages

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Beauty through a childs eyes...

I don't know about anyone else, but my children are plagued with compliments from me all the time!! Not in a ridiculous way, I don't tell them they're amazing at something if they're not, but I encourage and praise their tenacity at doing their best... To me personally, that's more amazing than anything else. To strive to do their very best fills me with the biggest rush of pride!!!

It's not being the best, it's trying your best...

Now in saying that... I do compliment them all the time, telling them that I think they're beautiful, I truly believe they are too, I may be biased, but I don't care, they hear it regularly with kisses and cuddles to boot :o)

Now where am I going with this? 

I had the most amazing conversation with my 4 year old daughter about being pretty... Sitting in the car one day waiting for one of the others at one of their MANY activities...
I told her with a kiss & cuddle that she's soooo pretty... and I love her squillions... She smiled at me with that look that can melt your heart... Oh I love that smile!!

And well.... then, yes totally fishing for a compliment of my own, I then asked
 "is Mammy pretty?"

Here's the thing... her reply stopped me dead in my tracks 


"Of course you are Mammy, your a girl... 
All girls are pretty" 

It struck me in that moment that out of the mouth of babes, the truth will be told...
Of course we're all pretty!  Why and where did anyone get the right to judge? 

I know this area is a minefield... There's so much already written and published about how society views beauty and I certainly don't mean to be an authority on the subject by any stretch of the imagination lol... I still struggle with how I see myself most of the time!!! So I'm NOT trying to spark a debate...

But this simple little conversation with my little girl, who sees people so beautifully and whole heartedly, has inspired me again to re-examine how I see everyone. It's actually quite scary how judgemental we can be without actually realising it!!! Yes, I can see it... We're all beautiful.

Regardless though, for me at least, my eyes are open & my heart inspired....

Hmmm... On a lighter note, I just hope she didn't mean that girls are pretty because boys are ugly ha ha ha

Luv & bubbles

12 comments:

Unknown said...

oh how lovely, you put it all into words so very well. xx

Clare Slevin said...

Oh thank you so much Teresa... it seems to come easier when you're inspired ♥

Aoife said...

that's so lovely Clare.

Clare Slevin said...

Thanks Aoife :-) ♥♥♥

Unknown said...

I found your blog through the WLC Blog Follows program, and I am glad I did. What a great post!
It is really nice to meet you :)
James A. West

Lou's Threads said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DarcĂ­a Helle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marquita said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J Lenni Dorner said...

I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect!
@JLenniDorner

Ha. All girls are pretty. Great words. That should be a slogan.

k said...

I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect! You can find my blog at loren-mathis.com.

I enjoyed this blog post. Given the hurdles that children, young adults face now in regards to fostering positive self-esteem its awesome that you're making sure to take the time to remind your kids of their intrinsic value!